Friday, April 02, 2010

So It Occurs To Me...

... that I have not paid very much attention to the blog signatures. Most specifically the one that follows every post I make.

     I was recently inspired to update my signature (see the siggy that follows) and that quest made me realize how little I do to spread my joy of this game with others. Really I play the game, and then when I log out, I log completely out.

     So I was thinking I'd like to try out some other sig-generators, just to see what else is out there, and since I have this space for game-related topics, and this is game-related, here is the results of my search.

     I have included below some of the generated signatures. Clicking on a signature will take you to the site where I created it. On with the show.

1. XChar.de (current favourite)


 ~ I like this because it is clean and easy to read. The colour is awesome, although I would prefer something a tad more sinister... heh heh. Also they have the option when you create the sig to have a big one (shown) or a little one like this:


2. SigLaunch.com

 ~ This site was the easiest to upload an image to, and gave me a lot of fine tuning, although what I was allowed to customize was limited (specific data and font colour, bg img, avatar). Still I like it enough to make it my second choice.

3. WoWSigs.com

 ~ This one had a great interface, and although it does require that you register (free) it allows you to upload a personal image (but it needs to be less than 10K in size). The default image was fine, although I do prefer to upload one myself.

4. RPG Outfitter

 ~ This one was my default, and the data site of choice for my guild management, for almost 2 years. It does require that you register with the site (free) and run a small file in your AddOns folder, and you must manually update this website (which only takes a few secs) for the data to be accurate. HOWEVER, it updates your signature dynamically, is customizable on several levels, allows uploading of custom images, has a great support forum, and on and on...
 ~ I confess that I have not updated the info recently, with my work schedule being what it has been. Nevertheless I intend to get this info up-to-date A.S.A.P. so I may return to the siggy I remember so fondly creating.

5. Create My Own
     Well actually this option is a work-in-progress. I have no idea how to make it happen, and with so many sites out there which can already make me very happy, I must confess a certain lack of enthusiasm. Still, it would be nice to make a completely custom signature - unique, proprietary, and sinister ... heh heh. I know I will eventually get around to something along these lines, and I have had custom signatures made for other games (CoD comes immediately to mind). I guess the only thing to do is to try to create something and keep you all posted.

In Summary
     Well, I imagine that for most people the choice is based on ease of use, compatibility, and level of customization. Once they are made up I prefer to forget about them. I would like a dynamic sig for the current toon I am leveling (which I'll admit happens in fits & spurts) so I don't need to update it everytime I get a new piece of gear or level up. For me, I think the XChar.com choice is the one I will use for now, at least until I get a better handle on make them for myself.

~Cheers, Scott

No comments: